Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Mystery Quilt resurfaces

As I write this, it's 64 minutes until 2014 rolls around. So of course, it's time for a blog update.

I hadn't visited this quilt since back in April, when I kinda got stuck on the clues for that month. It was all about making endless Economy Patch blocks. That wasn't the problem though, because once you've got the cutting out of the way, they're really simple to put together.
Back to Square One - April
The part that got me stuck was having to have them an exact size afterwards. Which means trimming to size. And trimming up blocks is my absolute most unliked part of the whole quilting process.

And so, a couple of weeks ago, I looked at the pile of quilt centre/sewn blocks/cut pieces and thought, life's too short to stress about whether to finish a quilt that you're stuck on, so just add it all to the orphan block/scrap heap, and reuse it somewhere else. So I got it out, and then thought, hey, I actually still like this, why don't I give it one more go.

The pic above is with the medallion centre and one border, which I decided to mitre (the fabric is striped, so it made sense!), and half of the Economy Patch blocks.

----------------------

Then I worked on the May clue (remember, it's a mystery quilt! It's now December, but I didn't peek ahead). This was where I had to join all those squares, and have the points match up. Matching up points is my second most unliked part of the whole quilting process. But I told myself not to be too nitpicky (I'm not trying to win any prizes with this quilt, after all), and just do my best. With the pressure off, I only had to redo two or three seams.
Back to Square One - May
----------------------

 The June clue was fairly simple - add two borders; the aforementioned pieced border, and another dark brown plain border. I thought I'd have to mitre this one too, which had me mad at myself for doing the first one like that; but then I remembered I had more than one dark brown fabric to choose from (yay for scrappy quilts!).
Back to Square One - June

I'm really liking it now. Who would've thought pink and brown could work together?

----------------------

And finally, the last three days has had me cutting and piecing endless (okay, just 24) Log Cabins. Truth be told, I've never made more that one Log Cabin at a time, as I've only ever made them as sampler patches.

When I laid them out for the photo, I finally realised why some quilters are so hooked on making them. I still prefer variety over repetition, but I have a new appreciation of the good ol' Log Cabin.
Back to Square One - July - 24 x 6.5" blocks

1 comment:

  1. I found this on internet and it is really very nice.
    An excellent blog.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog!