Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Winter Wonderland

Winter Wonderland is a round robin quilt created by Becky from Patchwork Posse. Actually, it's a row quilt, so not done in rounds, so I guess that makes it a row robin? Also, she hasn't created it all -- just the first and last row and the finishing off; there are about 10 rows in between which are designed by guest quilt bloggers.

I'm not sure if I've explained it properly, but it's heaps of fun, and this is the third time I've done it. (One day, there will be a post about my other two.)


A rather monochrome palette. The fabric is mainly recycled shirts. The blue in the background is a sheet.

Row 1 is four Delectable Mountains. I haven't sewn mine together into a row yet, because I wasn't sure in what order to arrange them:

Light to dark progression

Random placement

Alternating position and shading
Hmmm... I think I'll just leave that decision until later on in the series... where this row is placed in the quilt may help me decide how to balance the colour.

There's a new row posted every two weeks. Row 2 came out today.



Making a winter themed quilt top sounds just perfect for the weather we've been having here. It was 29 degrees yesterday (Celcius - not sure what that compares to in Fahrenheit), which was the hottest in the country. Last week it got up to 32 degrees; it was so humid, even the weeds were wilting (I am fully aware there are many parts of the world that are far hotter. I am only commenting on my own experiences).

That is why summer is my least favourite month: I don't like sweating. And the UV from the sun isn't safe -- among the worst in the world. The weather man says to stay inside/out of the sun between 10am and 4pm.

So piecing stars and embroidering snowmen is very therapeutic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog!